"LAGUNA HONDA HOSPITAL AND REHAB CENTER POSITIVE CARE" PROGRAM
Mivic Hirose- Executive Director
"With an experienced team of nurses, doctors, social workers, therapeutic specialists and dietitians, the Positive Care program provides 24-hour support for a diverse community of men and women living with HIV and AIDS. Our team designs individualized plans that provide a comprehensive approach to medical, social, emotional, and cognitive challenges. We apply intensive, highly skilled nursing with the goal of maximizing functional independence and enabling a return to lower levels of care in other community settings whenever possible."
The "Laguna Honda Positive Care" Program is the only HIV/AIDS skilled nursing program in the San Francisco Bay Area. The center also specializes in treatment for AIDS Dementia.
Rehabilitation and therapeutic services include physical, occupational, speech, and vocational programs.
The "Laguna Honda" model focuses on community-building and the therapeutic effects of interacting with nature. Milestones in resident’s lives are considered important to progress and are marked. When residents complete treatment and move out of the "Laguna Honda" facility they often return as volunteers who bring experience and hope to other residents.
Highlights of Laguna Honda's skilled nursing services include:
- The only dedicated skilled nursing facility for HIV/AIDS in the San Francisco Bay Area
- A nationally-recognized program for people with Alzheimer’s and other dementa
- Group living for people with developmental disabilities
- Treatment for multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s and other degenerative diseases
- Therapeutic services for traumatic brain injuries and the effects of stroke
- Guidance and support for people with psychosocial difficulties
- Complex care for people with multiple diagnoses
- An award-winning restorative care program that assists residents to retain and reclaim physical competency
- Pain management and end-of-life care emphasizing comfort and dignity, including an in-house hospice operated in conjunction with the Zen Hospice Project of San Francisco
"Laguna Honda" provides nursing care in the areas of:
-Traumatic Brain Injury
-Alzheimer’s and Other Forms of Dementia
-Hospice and End of Life Care
To goal of the "Laguna Honda Hospital and Rehabilitation Center" is to provide the diverse population of San Francisco with high-quality and culturally competent rehabilitation and long-term care skilled nursing services.
"Laguna Honda" places the focus on person-centered care allowing residents to take an active role in directing their own care. This includes residents making decisions about basic activities of daily living, such as eating, sleeping or choosing when and where to enjoy recreation and privacy. The facility is centered around a community housing-like atmosphere with a main street are, a café, a community theatre, two art studios, a multi-media library with a fireplace, barber and beauty shops, a tropical bird aviary, and a cafeteria with indoor and outdoor seating. Healing is promoted with the assistance of an abundant outdoor natural environment. Resident's rooms are filled with natural light and each building opens onto a central park, zoo, an orchard and garden accessible to people using wheelchairs. The outdoor space is also the ideal location for the hospital's animal therapy and horticulture programs. Choice, Community, and a Healing Environment
WATCH VIDEO ON "LAGUNA HONDA HOSPITAL AND REHAB CENTER"