"NATIONAL DIRECTORY OF HOME MODIFICATION AND REPAIR RESOURCES" PROGRAM
Headquarters - University of Southern California Andrus Gerontology Center.
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Across the USA .
The "National Directory of Home Modification and Repair Resources" Program is a state by state guide to specialized, contractors, remodelers, architects, interior designers and construction experts to adapt their homes to changing needs and lifestyles in order to maintain independence.
Although the National Resource Center on Supportive Housing and Home Modification does not endorse the contractors and businesses, the directory provides a starting point for seniors and others who wish to start the home modification process. The center suggests seniors, their families and caregivers and others use their own caution and judgment.
Home modifications convert or adapt a seniors living environment to make mobility and daily tasks easier, reduce accidents, and support independent living.
Examples of home modification may include:
• Lever door handles that operate easily with a push
• Handrails on both sides of staircase and outside steps
• Ramps for accessible entry and exit
• Walk-in shower
• Grab bars in the shower, by the toilet, and by the tub
• Hand-held, flexible shower head
• Lever-handed faucets that are easy to turn on and off
• Sliding shelves and lazy susan in corner cabinet
• C or D ring handles on cabinet doors and drawers for easy gripping