"HEN POWER PROJECT"
Funding from the Big Lottery Fund.
"As well as looking after hens, hatching eggs and rearing chicks the 'Hensioners' involve themselves in a range of creative activities from designing their own hen houses, to recording oral histories and designing a range of cards, calendars tea towels, and other merchandise by working with sculptors, visual and new media artists.
"Project leader Jos Forester-Melville told Your Chickens: 'It's an innovative, exciting project. We've teamed up with eight supported living schemes and are encouraging older people to engage in activities which will bring about long-term benefits and boost motivation.' "
The HenPower Project encourages the elderly to become involved in the day-to-day raising, care, feeding, eggs, etc. of hens.
The elderly who are a part of the Hen Power Project are also known as 'hensioners.'
The Hen Power Project aims to:
- Prevents loneliness, isolation and promotes elderly health and well-being.
- Provides seniors with socialization by meeting others while care taking their hens.
- Encourage seniors to be creative by designing coops and purchasing hen breeds.
- Create intergenerational exchanges by visiting schools and school children.
- Help lift the spirits of other seniors by visiting care homes with their hens.
- Encourage elderly to keep active and maintain fitness levels.
Senior Theater and Senior Arts
WATCH VIDEO ON THE HEN POWER PROJECT