STORIES WITHIN PROGRAM - INTREPID SEA, AIR & SPACE MUSEUM
“The Museum offers guided programs for individuals with dementia and their caregivers. Programs incorporate artifacts, oral histories, artwork, and visits through historic spaces to stimulate conversation. Led by trained museum staff, small groups explore the Museum, located on the former WWII-era aircraft carrier, Intrepid, and reflect on the ship's history, aircraft, and stories of the people who served at home and at sea.”
The museum offers tours with verbal descriptions, guided touch of aircraft, and models and tactile images
for those with dementia or those who are hearing impaired, blind or have low vision.
Additional special features include:
- Captioned videos in exhibition spaces.
- Multi-page tactile map of the Museum with large print, raised images of several key exhibitions and objects.
- A talking smart pen, visitors can tap the map to uncover layers of way-finding directions, verbal descriptions and stories from former crew members.
- Audio guide is compatible with a neck loop and is available as a video guide in American Sign Language.
- ASL interpretation is available for students and adults upon request with advance notice.
- ASL-led tours are offered throughout the year.
- Verbal description and tactile guide books with talking smart pens are available at the Information Desk, along with large print exhibition guides.
- Guided verbal description and touch tours of the Museum are provided by museum educators upon request with advance notice.
The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum features the legendary aircraft carrier Intrepid, the space shuttle Enterprise, the world’s fastest jets and a guided missile submarine. The museum has many additional special programs to allow visitors of all ages and abilities to learn about American history.
The Stories Within Program at Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum is a part of the larger Diversity and Inclusion Policy started by the American Alliance of Museums which seeks diverse volunteers and staff and audiences regardless of age, ethnicity, gender, language, religion, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, education, and physical, mental and developmental disabilities.
Dementia Assistance and Activities
Alzheimer's & Dementia Caregivers