"SENIOR FRIENDSHIP CENTERS"
WHATFree senior health care services are provided by volunteer doctors, dentists, pharmacists, nurses and other health professionals to thousands of uninsured or low income seniors in Florida.
WHYTo provide a community network of senior services, support and engagement for seniors, caregivers, families, health professionals and volunteers.
WHERESenior Friendship Centers. Charlotte, Collier, DeSoto, Lee, Manatee, Sarasota, Florida, U
"Our clinics are staffed by retired and volunteer physicians, dentists, pharmacists, nurses and health professionals who enjoy practicing for the sheer love of medicine. The Centers for Healthy Aging serve 4,000 patients annually at all locations, including close to 18,000 visits annually"
"…more than 72 retired physicians, representing 15 specialties, volunteer in our clinics, enjoying more time with patients than traditional practice permits and the professional stimulation of ongoing educational programs. More than 34 dentists, 8 dental hygienists 3 pharmacists, 25 nurses and 15 clinic aides also experience the joy of volunteering at our clinics."
Florida's Senior Friendship Centers provide senior healthcare services along with other programs for well-being. The Center's are based on the moto of 'People Helping People.' Some of the health-related services offered to seniors include:
- Centers for Healthy Aging, Medical and Dental Care –Retired and volunteer physicians, dentists, pharmacists, nurses and health professionals provide free healthcare to seniors who have limited incomes or are uninsured.
- Adult Day Care –for frail elderly, individuals with Alzheimer's or other memory impairments.
- Fall Prevention- balance Movement classes to strengthen muscles and build balance, along with techniques for safe walking, how to safely get up out of a chair, and other exercises.
- Friendship at Home Supportive Intervention - matches caring volunteers with isolated seniors through Telephone Reassurance, Friendly Visitor and Supportive Intervention programs. Volunteers are trained and paired with seniors based on similar interests and schedules.
- Meal Programs- offered through Friendship Meals on Wheels.
- In-home Care Management
- Volunteerism & Community Engagement opportunities seniors and other through the Friendship Volunteer Center, VISTA and RSVP programs
- Caregiver Resource Centers - provides educational programs, support and access to information to overwhelmed caregivers.
- Social Services and Case Management – an Elder Helpline providing seniors with assistance and referrals.
- Friendship Centers for Activities and Education – including a Friendship café with nutritious food provided in a friendly atmosphere, with live entertainment, activities, games and socializing.
- Lifelong Learning – through Road Scholar (formerly known as Elderhostel) and through the organizations own programs. Life-long learning classes include: intergenerational programs for grandparents and grandchildren, learning a new language, writing, woodcarving, ceramics, yoga, Tai Chi, aerobics hula, and ballroom, salsa, tap dancing and much more.
Senior Friendship Centers have received the Award of Achievement in Older Adult Volunteer Program Management by the MetLife Foundation & National Association of Area Agencies on Aging and the Most Innovative Provider Award by the Florida Association of Service Providers.
WATCH VIDEO ON “SENIOR FRIENDSHIP CENTERS”