AGE UK - THE BIG CHINWAG
"We all know what it's like to feel lonely but imagine being completely alone every single day. More than a million older people in this country go a month or more without seeing or speaking to anyone."
"Almost 600,000 people only leave their house once a week or less."
Examples of how citizens can help the elderly prevent loneliness and fundraise include: having cocktails with friends, a picnic, BBQ, bake sale, tea party, or other similar events.
The Big Chinwag is meant to be an easy way to get together, fundraise, chat, have fun, and make a contribution in tackling loneliness.
The funds raised from The Big Chinwag will help fight loneliness later in life and support the following Age UK programs to help the elderly:
- £5 could pay for a befriender to visit and support a lonely older person at home.
- £10 could answer 2 calls from lonely older people by the Age UK advice line, providing support
- £20 could provide a lonely older person with a month of regular contact from Age UK.
- £35 could pay for an expert Age UK outreach officer to visit a vulnerable older
- £50 could pay for 2 older people to enjoy a meal and transport to an Age UK lunch club and socialize with others.
- £100 pays for a home visit for an older person and advise them on a situation or help resolve any problems they are experiencing.
Age UK provides a free online guide for how to have a Chinwag and help the elderly covering topics such as:
- What sort of Chinwag to organize.
- Where to hold your Chinwag.
- Who to invite.
- How to promote your Chinwag.
- How to take donations.
The website also provides posters, brochures and other promotional material on how to hold a successful Chinwag event.
Age UK is the UK’s largest charity supporting older people and provides a number of senior services, programs along with several campaigns advocating for the elderly.
Spread the Warmth Campaign - Provides funds to seniors so that they can keep the heat on during the winter months.The program also distributes blankets, heaters and clothes and lobbys government to deal with energy fuel poverty and cold weather related deaths.
Hungry to be Heard Campaign- Mealtime volunteers work with nursing care homes and hospitals to make sure elderly get the correct nutrition and service at mealtimes.
Elderly Depression & Mental Health Programs