RETIRED & SENIOR VOLUNTEER (RSVP) PROGRAM
Across the USA.
"This new generation of older adults tends to be extremely well-educated and highly skilled and they bring extensive resources and professional experience to community service."
“I am a Senior Corps RSVP volunteer I build homes and young minds. I build parks and playgrounds and support our nation’s veterans. I build gardens and help families with their finances. I build healthy futures and organize disaster relief. I’m a builder and I lead by experience…”
-source: video Senior Corps RSVP
The Retired & Senior Volunteer (RSVP) Program offers seniors volunteer opportunities with thousands of local and national organizations.
The Retired & Senior Volunteer (RSVP) Program staff interview older adults interested in volunteering to find work that best matches their interests, skills, and favorite activities.
The aim is to find the most meaningful, rewarding, and varied volunteer opportunities for each older adult applicant.
Seniors receive orientation and training from the organizations where they volunteer along with supplemental insurance while on duty.
The Retired & Senior Volunteer (RSVP) Program has helped seniors gain leadership positions in their communities and as advisors/consultants to nonprofit organizations.
A few examples of senior volunteer placements include:
- Seniors participating in intergenerational mentoring for school children for at-risk youth
- Seniors assisting nonprofit agencies
- Seniors helping other seniors with income tax forms
- Seniors teaching adults to read
- Seniors tutoring school children
- Seniors building houses
- Seniors helping get children immunized
- Seniors modeling parenting skills to teen parents
- Seniors participating in neighborhood watch programs
- Seniors planting community gardens
- Seniors providing counsel to new business owners
- Seniors helping veterans find employment
- Seniors offering relief services to victims of natural disasters
The Corporation for National and Community Service is a federal agency that engages millions of Americans in volunteer service through Senior Corps, AmeriCorps, and Learn and Serve America.
source: seniorcorps.gov, cssny.org
WATCH VIDEO ON HOW RETIRED & SENIOR VOLUNTEER (RSVP) PROGRAM WORKS