AMERICAN RED CROSS FAMILY CAREGIVING PROGRAM
Across the United States.
"The thing that we find often is that those persons don't even know they are caregivers. They're still thinking of them self as I'm just the daughter, this is what a daughter does… so the first thing I try to do is make them understand… that they are taking on tasks that are not innate to them and that getting some training is really important to make them more successful."
-Lynn Polk, RN - American Red Cross
The American Red Cross Family Caregiving Program consists of the following educational topics for caregivers:
• Home Safety - provide a safe environment, fire safety, infection control, medication safety
• General Elderly Caregiver Skills - reading and recording vital signs, sudden illness, giving medication, communication and organization, time saving ideas.
• Body Mechanics Positioning and Helping a Loved One Move -prevent strains, prevent pressure ulcers, positioning your loved one in bed, getting from the bed to a chair, moving into the car, helping your loved one walk.
• Assisting with Personal Care - grooming, mouth care, dressing, bathing, showering and shampooing assisting with toileting.
• Healthy Eating - nutrition, preparing for a meal, helping your loved one eat, how to respond to choking, fluids are important, keep food safe to eat, dietary concerns.
• Caring for the Caregiver -caregiver stress, depression, dealing with depression, end of life issues.
• Legal and Financial Issues - gathering important documents, advance directives, last will and testament, facts about funerals.
• Caring for a Loved One with Alzheimer's Disease or Dementia - how to deal with difficult behaviors, comforting a loved one with dementia.
• Caregiver Resources - local and national organizations, vital signs record, daily medication log, medication list, emergency contact card.
WATCH VIDEO ON HOW AMERICAN RED CROSS FAMILY CAREGIVING PROGRAM WORKS