“AGE UK SPREAD THE WARMTH CAMPAIGN” PROGRAM
"Every year, more than 30,000 older people die from preventable causes over the winter months and we believe that this is an avoidable tragedy that we can help to prevent.”
- Age UK
Due to the aging process, cold weather affects seniors on a greater level. Seniors respond differently to the cold therefore increasing thier risk of health problems such as heart attack, stroke, or pneumonia.
The cold weather also makes it more difficult for seniors to be mobile which can lead to isolation and depression.
Seniors who are on limited incomes may avoid heating their homes or many rooms in order to save money further increasing senior safety risk.
“Age UK Spread the Warmth Campaign helps seniors by:
- Distributing clothes, heaters and electric blankets
- Providing senior benefit checks to help with financial issues such as heating costs
- Offers snow clearance services, shopping support and befriending visits to home bound seniors
- Organizing Christmas parties, theatre and shopping trips and other social activities
- Distributing information and tips on how to stay warm at home
- Distributing thermometers so seniors can gauge when to turn heating on or off appropriately
- Advocate for changes in Government policy and local councils to make cold-related winter deaths a public health priority
General Senior Safety
WATCH VIDEO ON HOW "AGE UK SPREAD THE WARMTH CAMPAIGN” PROGRAM WORKS
WATCH VIDEO ON HOW "AGE UK SPREAD THE WARMTH CAMPAIGN" PROGRAM WORKS